5 of February 1943
- Polish Fighting Team formed in
13 of February
- Unit members arrived to West Kirby for
"tropicalisation", ie - injections,
uniforms etc. then boarding a convoy, leaving Glasgow on 24th.
13 of March
- PFT arrives at
(appr. 250km west from Tripoli).
They became a "C" Flight in # 145 Sqn (under command of S/L Lance Wade) / 244 Wing
of Desert Air Force,
17 of March
- Start of active duty flying.
23 of March
- Spitfires Mk IX arriving.
28 of March
- 6 plane patrol intercepted formation of Ju88 with a Bf109 escort. S.
Skalski (EN459) & E. Horbaczewski (EN267) shot down a "Ju" each.
2 of April
- Four plane, afternoon patrol, shot down 3 and damaged 2 Bf109's.
M.Machowiak(EN361) -1&1 dmg / S.Skalski(EN459) -1 / E.Horbaczewski(EN315) -1 /
4 of April
- 6 plane, morning patrol fought
Bf's. S. Skalski (EN315) -1 / W. Krol
(EN313) -1 / L. Martel (EN361) -1dmg
6 of April
- 5 plane patrol in the afternoon "mixed" with Bf109's. E. Horbaczewski
(EN459) -1 / M. Wyszkowski (EN315) -1prb / W. Majchrzyk (EN300) -1dmg Horbaczewski's Spitfire
(ZX*1) was badly shot, but he managed to glide damaged
7 of April
- During a morning 4 plane patrol -2 Bf109 were shot down. B. Malinowski
(EN300) -1 / K. Sporny (EN267) -1
8 of April
- Midday, 4 plane patrol - E.Popek(EN315) damaged a Bf109.
11 of April
- 244 Wing moving to
, then, on
15 of April
following 8th Army advance.
18 of April
- During a morning flight M. Wyszkowski in EN355 was shot down
(PoW), combination of
AA fire and
Messerschmitts. In the afternoon B. Arct claimed 1 Macchi Mc.202 probably shot down.
Group of PFT pilots by EN186.
Left: W/Cdr Rolski (liaison
officer) and Machowiak examine a wreck of Fiat CR 42
20 of April
- Flying top cover for
Kittyhawks, PFT intercepted
appr. 20 enemy fighters
(mixed formation of Bf109's & Mc.202's) west of
Pantelleria. L. Martel
(EN261) -1Bf &1Bf
prb. / M. Drecki (EN286) -1Bf &1Bf dmg / E. Popek
(EN268) - 1Mc202 / W. Krol (EN313) -1Mc202 / W. Majchrzyk -1Mc202 / B.
21 of April
- Patrol over Tunis. W. Krol (EN313) shot down 1, and B. Arct (EN315) damaged 1
Bf109's in low level chase of five enemy planes.
22 of April
- 244 Wing intercepted formation of transport planes (Me323
Gigant) with an
escort comprised of Bf109's and Mc.202's. 6 PFT planes were flying top cover
for the Wing.
E. Horbaczewski (EN315) & K. Sporny (EN261) -2 Bf109 each / K. Sztramko
-1Bf109 & 1 Mc.202 shot down.
28 of April
- 6 plane patrol over Tunis &
Bizertia. E. Popek (EN315) shot down lone Mc.202.
30 of April
- M. Machowiak (EN268) damaged FW190.
6 of May
- Last victory for
PFT. K. Sztramko (EN286) shot down 1, and S. Skalski
damaged 1 Bf109's.
244 Wing moved to
Hergla, only 15km from the frontline.
13 of May
- Axis troops in North Africa surrendered.
PFT was disbanded. It wasn't the end though! Desert Air Force Command was so
impressed, they asked Poles to stay on in commanding positions with RAF units.
Three of them did, with the rest going back to England in July. S.
became CO of # 601
Sqn, E. Horbaczewski CO of # 43 Sqn and M. Drecki a Flight Leader
in # 152 Sqn (he was killed in take-off accident in September).