No. 303 Squadron in the Battle of Britain

It must be said, that before the two Polish squadrons and one Czech entered the battle, the British Command regarded their Slavic allies as inferior pilots to their own, with broken morale, hindered by language incapability. Except for the language they were completely wrong. Air Chief Marshall Dowding later wrote:

“I must confess that I had been a little doubtful of the effect which their experience in their own countries and in France might have had upon the Polish and Czech pilots, but my doubts were laid to rest, because all three squadrons swung into the fight with a dash and enthusiasm which is beyond praise. They were inspired by a burning hatred for the Germans which made them very deadly opponents. The first Polish squadron (No. 303), in No. 11 Group, during the course of the month shot down more Germans than any British unit in the same period. Other Poles and Czechs were used in small numbers in British squadrons, and fought very gallantly, but the language was a difficulty, and they were probably most efficiently employed in their own national units ...” (London Gazettte 11 Sep 1946)

 Aug 30. At 4:35 p.m. F/O Paszkiewicz (Hurricane no. R4217) left the training formation near ST. Albans, and went after twin-engine plane, which he recognized as a Dornier. He shot it down diving from 14,000 to 9,000 feet. His victim was in fact a Me110. See also the 303 Squadron scores
     F/O Paszkiewicz describes the first squadron’s victory in his report:
“We took off in two flights (A and B), for exercises in attacking Blenheims, at 4.15 p.m. After climbing to 10,000 feet we flew northward. After a while we noticed ahead a number of aircraft carrying out various evolutions. The center of the commotion seemed to be about 1,000 feet below us to starboard. I reported it to the OC, S/Ldr Kellett, by RT and, as he did not seem to reply, I opened up the throttle and went in the direction of the enemy. I saw the rest of the flight some 300 yards behind me; below me were the burning suburbs of some town and a Hurricane diving with smoke trailing behind it. Then I noticed, at my own altitude, a bomber with twin rudders—probably a Dornier— turning in my direction. When he noticed me he dived sharply down. I turned over and dived after him. When turning over I noticed the black crosses on the wings. Then I aimed at the fuselage and opened fire at about 200 yards, later transferring it to the port engine, which I set on fire. When I drew very close I pressed down under for a new attack and then I saw another Hurricane attacking and a German baling out by parachute. The Dornier went into a steep turn, and then I gave him another burst. He dived and then hit the ground without puffing out of the dive and burst into flames. I then approached the other Hurricane and saw its markings: VC I. I have been firing at an enemy aircraft for the first time in my life."

August/September 1940. F/O Paszkiewicz describes his action to F/O Hadwent (probably a staged photo).

Paszskiewicz’s action received very ambivalent reaction from the British: rather agitated voices complaining about the lack of discipline displayed by the Pole were countered by the praise of its boldness and the result. After all, many argued, the objective was to shot down Luftwaffe planes, which physically represented strangling arms of the German military might.
     That evening the squadron was declared operational.

     Aug 31. Led by S/Ldr Kellet one unit’s flight took part in a big scrap with German formation of 60 plus aircraft. This took place at 6:25 p.m. 14,000 feet over Biggin Hill. After one dashing pass at Dornier bombers, pilots were engaged in a general mêlée. The 303 claimed six kills, all Bf109s: S/Ldr Kellet (flying Hurricane #: R4178); F/O Henneberg (V729C); P/O Feric (P3974); Sgt Karubin (R2688); Sgt Szaposznikow (V7242) and Sgt Wünsche (V7244). Szaposznikow’s claim later reduced to ‘damaged’.
     Following this first unit’s combat, F/O Feric wrote in his diary: We took off immediately after alert. Flight A took off first and after a few minutes’ interval Flight B. We were airborne at 5.50 p.m. We took a course of 90 degrees and then 100 and 150 degrees. After some minutes of flying, when we passed a Spitfire squadron, Sgt. Karubin told the O.C. that he had spotted the enemy. Actually about 60 to 70 aircraft were crossing our course to the northeast. We put on speed and went after them. But even before approaching the enemy formation we saw a flight of three Me. 109s, which probably had not noticed us, as we were coming from the sun. To deal with the main enemy force we had to remove these Me. 109s. The surprise was complete. Kellett’s flight split up and each of them selected one Me. 109. What about us? We did not have to wait long for a job. Another flight of three Me. 109s, flying much higher than the first, came to the rescue of their comrades. They dived down and were passing in front of us, as we were some 300 yards behind our first flight. That was lucky, especially as one of the Huns was already firing at Karubin, who was busy with the Me. 109 ahead of him. Wunsche took him on. I went after the other, putting on full throttle. I caught up with him easily; he grew in my sights until his fuselage occupied the whole luminous circle. It was certainly time for firing. I did it quite calmly and I was not even excited, rather puzzled and surprised to see that it was so easy, quite different from Poland when you had to scrape and try until you were in a sweat, and then instead of getting the bastard, he got you.” 
     F/O Henneberg combat report (cr): after a few minutes’ chase I caught up with four Me. 109s, going towards the Channel. They broke formation and one of them swung away to one side. I went after him, keeping an eye on the others. I had to hurry, as the three Jerries were already behind and above me to the port side. I opened fire at 300 yards. After the first burst he put out a smoke. I gave him another two bursts and the Jerry went down with a big trail of gray smoke. It was high time to scram, because of the other three Me. 109s behind my back. I noticed a white smudge on the water about seven miles south of Newhaven.”
     On the end of the day, the unit received a message from HQ No. 11 Group at Northolt: Group Commander sends congratulations to No. 303 Squadron on their excellent fighting this afternoon when they destroyed four enemy aircraft without casualties to their own pilots or aircraft, which demonstrates good team work and straight shooting.”

September 1940. S/Ldr Kellet talks with IO Officer F/O Gejsztowt.

Sep 2. In full strength of twelve a/c, the 303 fought with a group of Bf109s: 5:50 p.m. at 22,000 feet over Dover and the channel. Two Bf109s downed by sergeants Frantisek (P3975) and Rogowski (R4217) were confirmed as destroyed; P/O Feric (R4178) had one Bf109 probable; F/O Henneberg (V7246) one damaged.

Sep 3. At 10:20 a.m. six Hurricanes took off and were surprised by two Bf109s, which damaged Sgt Wojtowicz’s a/c (R2688). Pilot forced landed near Terfenden and safe. Some damaged received also Hurricane (V7246) piloted by F/O Henneberg. Soon after that, pilots of Flight “B” led by F/O Paszkiewicz were attacked by a section of Spitfires from unknown unit. After leaving a formation of nine 303 a/c during afternoon sortie, Sgt Frantisek (P3975) hunted a lone returning German a/c (claimed He113, but probably a Bf109), at 3:40 p.m. at 8,000 feet over the drink.

Sep 4. Two patrols flown without incidents: nine a/c at 9:20 a.m. and twelve at 1:25 p.m.

Sep 5. In mid-morning one-hour sorties, Flight “A” patrolled over the coast while Flight “B” patrolled over the airfield. At 3:05 p.m. over Thameshaven, nine 303 Hurricanes attacked a mixed formation (50+) of Ju88s escorted by Bf109s flying at 22,000 feet. Nine German a/c were claimed destroyed: S/Ldr Kellet (V7284) 1 Bf109 + 1 probable; F/Lt A. Forbes (R4217) 1 Ju88; F/O Lapkowski (P2985) 1 Ju-88; Sgt Frantisek (R4175) 1 Ju-88 and 1 Bf109; Sgt Karubin (P3975) 2 Bf109s; Sgt Wünsche (V7289) 1 Bf109. F/O Lapkowski (P2985) was shot down and bailed out. He suffered a broken arm.

Early September 1940. P/O Daszewski (left), Sgt Wojciechowski, F/O Paszkiewicz, P/O Lokuciewski and F/O Lapkowski.

The 303 Hurricanes during the Battle of Britain. Graphics by Bolek Rykowski.

Sep 6. Nine a/c strong, the 303 joined a big fracas over Sevenoaks (22,000) at 9 a.m. A huge formation of nearly 400 German planes was intercepted. Before only two pilots (Kellet and Karubin) reached the bomber formation, the 303 was bounced by escorting Bf109s, and the pilots were involved in a series of individual fights. These fights brought more scores for the 303 with 7 e/a destroyed and 2 probables: S/Ldr Kellet (V7284) 1 Ju88; F/Lt Forbes (R4179) 1 Bf109 + 1 probable; F/O Urbanowicz (V7242) 1 Bf109; P/O Feric (P3700) 1 Bf109 + 1 probable; Sgt Frantisek (R4175) 1 Bf109; Sgt Karubin (V7290) 1 He111; Sgt Wünsche (V7289) 1 Bf109 + 1 probable. However, there were losses: S/Ldr Kransodebski (P3974) was shot down, bailed out and was seriously burned; Kellet was brought down by a German rear gunners and force landed near Biggin Hill being slightly banged up; F/Lt Forbes a/c was damaged and he emergency landed suffering slight wounds; also Frantisek’s Hurricane was shot up and out of action for three weeks.
    During the afternoon three-aircraft local patrol, Hurricane piloted by F/Lt Kent (R2685) developed engine problem, and the pilot forced landed with destroyed power plant. At 5:40 p.m. F/O Januszewicz (P3089) took off with the Canadian squadron and force landed following and attack by a German fighter.

S/Ldr Krasnodebski few days after bailing out from a burning Hurricane.

Sep 7. Eleven 303 pilots engaged 90+ German formation over Essex at 20,000 and at 5 p.m. The Poles luckily got to the bombers unmolested, since a Canadian squadron that attacked first already tied up the German escort. Altogether seventeen e/a were claimed: F/Lt Forbes (R42l7) 1 Do17 destroyed; F/O Henneberg (V6605) 1Bf109; F/O Paszkiewicz (V7235) 2 Do17s; P/O Zumbach (V7242) 2 Do17s; P/O Daszewski (P3890) 1 Do17; P/O Lokuciewski (P3975) 2 Do17s (1 probable); F/O Pisarek (84173) 1 Bf109; F/O Urbanowicz (R2685) 1 Do17 + 1 Bf109 probable; Sgt Wojtowicz (P3939) 2 Do17s; Sgt Szaposznikow (V7244) 1 Do17 + 1 Bf109. P/O Daszewski was hit and had to bail out; F/Lt Forbes lost his Hurricane as well, himself. F/O Hadwin (IO) reported only 16 scores, and own losses as two Hurricanes destroyed, and three damaged. The unit suffered no pilot losses: F/O Pisarek and P/O Daszewski both bailed out, the former moments after downing his Bf109. Read F/Lt Forbes combat report.

Lone hunter Sgt Frantisek.

Sep 8. At 12:30 p.m. eight 303 aircraft made patrol sortie without incidents.

Sep 9. Eleven 303 a/c (Sgt Szaposznikow did not keep up with the formation) engaged 40+ German mixed formation over Beachy Head at 20,000 feet and 6 p.m. Scored: F/Lt Kent (V6665) 1 Bf109 + 1 Ju88 probable; P/O Zumbach (R 2685) 1 Bf109 + 1 probable; Sgt Frantisek (P3975) 1 Bf109 + 1 He111. Sgt Wünsche (P3700) was shot down and seriously wounded. Sgt Frantisek force landed his damaged Hurricane near Brighton.

Sep 10. Only one flight was made by a section from the Flight “B”, which during a one-hour patrol spotted a lone Ju88 to far away to be chased.

   Sep 11. In full strength, the 303 joined the fight with 150+ German mixed formation over Horsham, at 18,000 and at 4 p.m. Flying with the 303 was the 229 Squadron, which joined the fracas first. Only few Poles managed to get to the bombers as the escorting Messerschmidts bounced their formation. The 303 pilots downed 16 e/a: F/Lt Forbes (V7465) 2 D017s; F/O Henneberg (V7290) 1 Bf109 + 1 He111; P/O Lokuciewski (L2099) 1Bf109 + 1 Do17; Sgt Frantisek (V7289) 2 Bf109s + 1 He111; Sgt Brzozowski (V6667) 2 He111s; P/O J. Zumbach (R2685) 1 Bf109; F/O Paszkiewicz (V7235) 1 Me110; Sgt Wojtowicz (V7242) 1 Bf109; Sgt Szapasznikow (V7244) 2 Me110s. This success was occupied with losses: Sgt Wojtowicz was killed in action; F/O Cebrzynski (V6667) bailed out but suffered serious burns and consequently died in hospital; slightly wounded, F/Lt Forbes (V7465) force landed on a damaged Hurricane.

Sgt Brzezowski (left), Sgt Wojtowicz and Sgt Szaposznikow.

Sep 12. Two morning over-airfield patrols were flown.

Sep 13. Two Polish pilots flew one morning patrol.

Sep 14. Three afternoon sorties, every one in strength of a full Flight.

    Sep 15.  Over London’s Hastings area, at 16,000 feet at noon, 12 Polish Hurricanes helped to stop a German raid of 80+ a/c. At 2:45 p.m. scrambled was Flight B and engaged the enemy at 18,000 feet in the same area.
   In these two sorties scored: S/Ldr Kellet (V7465) 1 Me110+ 1 Do17; F/O Henneberg (P3120) 1 Bf109 + 1 Do17; F/O Urbanowicz (V6684) 2 Do17s; F/O M. Feric (R2685) 1 Bf109 +1 Me110; F/O Pisarek (V7465) 1 Bf109; F/O Paszkiewicz (V7235) 1 Bf109; F/O Zak (L2099) 1 Do17; P/O Zumbach (P3577) 1 Bf109; P/O Lokuciewski (P2903) 1 Bf109; Sgt Wojciechowski (V6673) 1 Bf109 + 1 shared; Sgt Frantisek (P3089) 1 Me110; Sgt Andruszkow (P3939) 1 Do17 shared (with Wojciechowski). In a first combat, P/O Lokuciewski’s a/c was hit (Cat1), pilot slightly wounded, returned to base. During the second sortie, Sgt Brzezowski (P3577) was killed in action, while Sgt Andruszkow was safe after abandoning his damaged plane. Also damaged was a Hurricane flown by F/O Urbanowicz.

From left: Sgt Frantisek, Sgt J. Kowalski, Sgt Wojciechowski, F/O Paszkiewicz, Sgt Belc and F/O Zak.

Sep 16. Morning patrol was flown in strength of eleven Hurricanes. No incidents.

Sep 17. Ten 303 a/c patrolled with No. 1 RCAF Squadron over Biggin Hill. At 4 p.m. and 23,000 feet over Thames Estuary, Sgt Wojciechowski (P3975) left the squadron’s formation and hunted a Bf109 which he claimed as destroyed.

Sep 18. Busy day for the unit, as four full-strength sorties were flown. During the second the 303 Hurricanes encountered two lone German planes over West Mailing at 1:15 p.m. Poles engaged the e/a at 17,000 feet and quickly shot them down. A Bf109 was credited to Sgt Frantisek (V7465), while 8 different pilots shared a scouting Do215. During the passes at the Dornier, P/O Feric’s a/c (V7244) suffered Cat2 damage buy a return fire from the bomber. The ORB also records two Polish Hurricanes being damaged by Spitfires from unidentified unit.

Sep 19. Day off.

 Sep 20. One mid-day, full-strength patrol.

Sep 21. Between 6:00 and 7:10 p.m. the unit flew 12 a/c patrol.

Sep 22. Day off.

Sep 23. At 9:20 a.m. Flight “A” took off for a patrol, followed by the Flight “B” 5 min later. At 10 a.m. and 23,000 feet over Thames Estuary-Calais, Flight “A” encountered a formation of 30 Bf109s. In the ensuing fight victory were scored by: F/Lt Kent (V668l) 1 Bf109 + 1 FW58 and Sgt Szaposznikow (V7244) 1 Bf109 (later downgraded to damaged). While returning to base, F/Lt Kent attacked a lone, gray FW58 without results.

Sep 24. Three times the squadron was airborne that day. As usually, the Flights took off with few minute intervals. No incidents were recorded.

Sep 25. Each Flight flew two morning patrols without incidents.

 Sep 26. In full strength of twelve a/c, the 303 took part in a fight with 80+ planes German raid. This happened at 4:30 p.m. and 16,000 feet over Portsmouth. This was another big day for the unit, which claimed: S/Ldr Kellet (V6681) 1 Bf109; F/Lt Forbes (V7465) 1 He111; P/O Grzeszczak (P3120) 1 He111; F/O Paszkiewicz (V7235) 1 He111; F/O Zak (V7289) 1He111; F/O Urbanowicz (P3901) 1 He111; F/O Zumbach (V6684) 1 Bf109 + 1 He111; Sgt Frantsek (R4175) 2 He111s; Sgt Kowalski (P3089) 1 Bf109; Sgt Belc (V6673) 1 Bf109; Sgt Andruszkow (V6665) 1 He111. Three Hurricanes were damaged: two Cat2 and one Cat3, which later was written off. Before the attack, S/Ldr Kellet received R/T to abort the mission (German diversion), but although the proper call sign was used he decide to press on.

From left: P/O Feric P/O Grzeszczak, P/O Zumbach, P/O Henneberg and S/Ldr Kellet.

   Sep 27. Eleven 303 a/c plowed up through a German 70+ raid over Horsham at 9:20 a.m. and 15,000 feet. Claims: F/Lt Forbes (L2099) 1 He111; P/O Feric (V6681) 1 Bf109 + 1 He111; F/O Henneberg (V7246) 1 Bf109: F/O Urbanowicz (P3901) 1 Me110+ 1 Bf109; F/O Zumbach (V6684) 1 Bf109; F/O Zak (V7289) 1 Bf109; P/O Grzeszczak (V7244) 1 Bf109; Sgt Frantisek (R4l75) 1 He111 + 1 Me110; Sgt Kowalski (P3089) 1 He111 damaged. These victories came with the cost of losses: F/Lt Paszkiewicz (L1696) and Sgt Andruszkow (V6665) were shot down and killed, while F/O Zak bailed out and was hospitalized.
   At 11:50 a.m., Flight “A” was scrambled, and one Bf109 probable was credited to S/Ldr Kellet (P3901).
   During the second fight that day over Hastings (similar raid) at 3:25 p.m. Poles increased their day total claming: F/Lt Kent (V6684) 1 Ju88; F/O Urbanowicz (P3901) 2 Ju88s and Sgt Szaposznikow (V7244) 1 Bf109.

Sep 28. Both Flights made uneventful, late morning sorties. Also few individual flights were made.

Sep 29. The same activities as on previous day.

Sep 30. Busy day. Several sorties were made in the morning.
In early afternoon scramble, two full flights of the 303, flying with No 1 RCAF Sqn and No 229 RAF, encountered some 40 Germans (Bf109s escorting Do17s) over the Channel. The fight took place at 20,000 feet and four kills were claimed:  F/O Urbanowicz (P3901) 1 Bf109 + 1 Do17; P/O Radomski (P3663) 1 Do17 (shared); Sgt Karubin (V7504) 1 Bf109. Radomski force landed on a beach with faulty engine.
   At 4:50 p.m. ten pilots scrambled and fought (again with No 1 and 229 Sqns) over Brookland with another German raid, which already had been worked on. The raid consisted of 150+ German fighters. Claims: F/O Urbanowicz (P3901) 1 Bf109, and Sgt Frantisek (L2099) 1 Bf109 + 1 Bf109 probable.

King George VI visited the unit during the Battle of Britain on September 26. Just left of him, partly visible is S/Ldr Urbanowicz, who took over after S/Ldr Krasnodebski was wounded. Presenting pilots is S/Ldr Kellet. King shakes hand with P/O Januszewicz, who oh his right has P/O Henneberg, F/O Cebrzynski and F/O Paszkiewicz. Left of Januszewicz are: P/O Grzeszczak, P/O Zumbach and P/O feric.

Oct 1. In his solo fight (after leaving a formation) near North Foreland F/Lt Kent (V6681) claimed 1 Bf109 destroyed at 2:00 p.m. and at 20,000. At 4:00 p.m., the squadron made full strength, uneventful patrol.

Oct 2. Both Flights flew together three patrol sorties, all uneventful.

Oct 3. Few single take offs for patrol or a/c testing.

Oct 4. S/Ldr Kellet solo afternoon flight.

   Oct 5.  In a full strength the 303 engaged enemy at 11:40 a.m. over Rochester Channel. Highflying German formation consisted of 150+ Messerschmidts, both 109s and 110s.The squadron’s adjutant recorded twelve claims: S/Ldr Kellet (V7504) 1 Bf109 damaged; F/O Feric (V6681) 1 Me110; F/O Henneberg (V6684) 1 Me110; F/O Pisarek (V7503) 1 Me110 + 1 Me110 damaged; Sgt Belc (V7235) 1 Me110; Sgt Karubin (P3901) 1 Bf109; Sgt Palak (P3217) 1 Bf109 + 1 Me110 damaged; Sgt Siudak (N2460) 2 Bf109s + 1 Me110 shared destroyed. F/O Januszewicz (V7465) was lost crashing near Hawkinge. Later that day, the squadron was scrambled two more times. No enemy was encountered.

Oct 6. No flying was done. At 10:30 a.m., the Luftwaffe bombed the airfield. Unfortunately, one bombed destroyed a 303 Hurricane, which was having its guns synchronized. Pilot, Sgt Siudak who present at the scene, was killed in the blast.

Oct 7. Twelve 303 Hurricanes joined No. 1 RCAF Sqn to fend off a German raid by engaging in a battle with 50+ Bf109s over southern London at 30 the altitude of 30,000 feet. The fight took place at 1:50 p.m. and scores wise, it was the last successful sortie of the unit during the Battle of Britain. Recognized claims: F/O Pisarek (V7503) 1 Bf109; Sgt Szaposznikow (V7244) 1 Bf109 + 1 damaged; and Sgt Belc (L2099). Hurricane flown by P/O Mierzwa (R3089) received light damage. The unit flew two more sorties that day.

Oct 8. Two full-strength morning patrols were flown. For the first one, pilots took off at 9:50 a.m., during which Sgt Frantisek (R4175) was lost. He crashed near Sutton.

Oct 9. Eleven 303 Hurricanes made an early-afternoon patrol, with incidents.

Oct 10. Three full-strength patrols were flown. The Battle of Britain was becoming a closed chapter in the annals of aviation.

   Oct 11. At 11:55 a.m., the No 303 (Polish) Squadron flew its last patrol during the Battle of Britain. Twelve a/c patrolled near the channel and did not encounter the enemy. At 3:40 p.m. eighteen Hurricanes flew over to RAF Leconfield and the squadron was rested.

   During the Battle of Britain, between August 30th and October 11th, No. 303 Squadron tallied 126 enemy aircraft destroyed, 13 probably destroyed and 9 damaged. RAF officers assigned to lead the unit, S/Ldr Kellet, F/Lt Kent and F/Lt Forbes, together with Czech Sgt Frantisek contributed good 30% of this record. Polish pilots accounted for 93-8-6, and their individual scores were: F/O Urbanowicz 13-1-0; F/O Henneberg 8-1-1; F/O Zumbach 8-1-0; Sgt Szaposznikow 8-0-1; P/O Feric 7-1-0; Sgt Karubin 6-0-0; F/O Paszkiewicz 6-0-0; F/O Lokuciewski 4-1-0; F/O Pisarek 4-0-1; Sgt Wojciechowski 3 1/2-0-0; Sgt Wojtowicz 3-1-0; Sgt Wünsche 3-1-0; Sgt Belc 3-0-0; Sgt Siudak 2 1/2-0-0; F/O Zak 2-0-1; Sgt Brzozowski 2-0-0; P/O Grzeszczak 2-0-0; Sgt Andruszkow 1 1/2-0-0; P/O Daszewski 1-1-0; Sgt Kowalski 1-0-1; Sgt Palak 1-0-1; Sgt Rogowski 1-0-0; P/O J. Radomski 1/2 0-0. One kill was credited to the whole squadron. The squadron’s Intelligence Officer, F/O Hadwin had a lot of work with reports, and discrepancies in documents were often. This record, no matter how precise, is outstanding, even more so as the 303 had the best kills to losses ratio among all the units, which took part in the battle.

These are dry numbers however, which do not tell excitement of everyday fighting, frantic preparation for combat sorties, tensions on every level of command spilling down to the low aircraftman performing simplest but vital tasks needed to keep squadron operational. Seems like Poles of the 303 Squadron did their duty with extraordinary exuberance as they finally had a chance to fight the enemy on equal terms. Armed with planes matching the performance of those of the enemy and supported by excellent ground organization, they brought to him defeat after defeat, repaying him for a short September 1939 campaign with a handsome interest. Considering all this, it becomes understandable that the unit’s Operational Record Book (ORB) and pilots’ combat reports include only short laconic notes accompanied by the bunch of number, which do not reflect the monumental drama that went on under the British skies, outcome of which had a tremendous significance for the free world. But they provide evidence that Poles played a major role in it.

RAF Leconsfield, Oct 1940. From left: F/O Jankieiwcz, S/Ldr Kellet, F/O Lapkowski and P/O Kornicki.

RAF Leconsfield, Oct 1940
. P/O Zumbach (left) and P/O Feric.

This page is heavily based on research done by Jacek Kutzner from Poland, and his article published by "Skrzydlata Polska".