|No 300 Polish Squadron Photo Gallery - Part One
18 OTU Bramcote, Flight "B". 1940.
Many of those on this picture ended up in No. 300 Squadron, very few survived the war.
Probably Bramcote, July 1940.
Some of the squadron's ground crews in front of its first and only Avro Anson. Before the Poles converted themselves to Wellingtons, nearly all the training was done on Fairey Battles. Needs info.
Left: Polish crew mounting the Fairey Battle BH-E (L5427) at RAF Bramcote on August 7, 1940. Right: The unit's fly past at Bramcote during the the King and Gen. Sikorski's visit on August 20, 1940.
Piloted by F/Lt Sulinski in September 1940, this machine took part in the air raid against invasions equipment in Boulogne. (AJ Press)
RAF Swinderby, January 27, 1941. King George VI and Queen Elizabeth visited Polish No. 300 and No. 301 squadrons which were converting to Wellingtons bombers. On the foreground W/Cdr Makowski accompanying the royal couple.
RAF Swinderby. March 1941.
Picture depicts (among others) the first four 300 Sqn crews which bombed Berlin, and taken soon after the mission from 21 March 1941. Back row, from left: Julian Talkowski, Alfons Kowalski, Tadeusz Baczak, Jan Jabłonski, Kazimierz Szymanowski, Aleksander Suczynski,
Jozef Kuflik, Nikodem Kozinski, Marian Sztul, Jan Artymiuk and Tadeusz Swidzinski. Front, from left: Edmund Jura, Edmund Rygiel,
Czeslaw Dziekonski, Roman Miarczynski, Piotr Nowakowski, Waclaw Makowski, Romuald Sulinski, Czeslaw Dej, Antoni Zychowski,
Wladysław Rogalski and Jan Biezunski.
Left: The crew of the Fairey Battle BH-I - Sgt Albin Socha (left), Sgt Henryk Kudelko and Sgt. Walerian Sosinski. Right: Staged photo of a Polish gunner in one of the squadron's Fairley Battle bombers. (credit: Fundacja Osrodka KARTA)
RAF Swinderby, Summer 1941.
General Ujejski decoartes Sgt Boczkowski with the Cross of Valour.
RAF Hemswell, 1941. Airmen of the squadron's Flight "B".
Swinderby. 11 July 1941.
The 300 Squadron was the first one to receive the Polish Air Force standard, which was kept in rotation among Polish squadrons. Left: British and Polish senior officers put engraved nails in the post. Right: Gen. Ujejski receives the standard from General Sikorski. Below: W/Cdr Makowski relay the standard directly to the airmen representative, then it is marched by the hangars.
RAF Hemswell, 1941. The Wellington IC, BH-T (R1211) and its crew celebrating 25th succesfull mission.
Same time and place - the crew of the "Assam Bomber", back, from left: Sgt Kraus (gunner); Sgt Sobieszczuk (navigator); F/O T. Jasinski (pilot); P/O Boczkowski (2nd pilot) and Sgt Lapot (wireless op.). Front row: unknown; Cpl Satara (fitter); Sgt Szczepanski (gunner) and three unknown ground crew.
RAF Hemswell, 1942.
The crew of BH-W "William": Cewinski (left), Grygielewicz, Boczkowski (pilot), Zabicki, Garczynski and Roman.
Wellington IV BH-L (Z1269) lost over Holland on March 27, 1942 r. (Profile by W. Sankowski)
RAF Ingham, Summer 1942.
This Wellington IV BH-K (Z1320) was inherited from the 458 Squadron RAAF with the Southern Cross painted on the fuselage. Notice the number of 41 missions marked there. Standing from left: Narcyz Krupowicz (technical officer), Tadeusz Jasinski (pilot), unknown, Boleslaw Solak (radio unit), Zygmunt Szymanski (navigator), unknown, Boleslaw Hulas (pilot), Mieczyslaw Wolanski (Flight "A" CO) and two unknown ground crew.
RAF Ingham, Summer 1942. Two photographs showing No. 300 Squadron Wellingtons Mk IV BH-L and BH-Q.
RAF Hemswell, Spring 1943. The unit's Wellington Mk X attended by ground crew. Notice the men being more interested in their work or cameraman, rather than their low flying bomber.
Two Polish fitters attend to Wellington's starboard wing at Hemswell, June 1943. Notice the nicely displayed construction of the wing's lower flap.
RAF Ingham, late summer 1943. Ground crew preparing loads for mine-laying operations. The photo session was taken around the Wellington BH-E (HF598).
The 300 Sqdn Wellington Mk X in 1943. Left: The bomber being prepared for a mission. Before engines start-up ground crew had to "walk the propellers", to avoid a hydraulic lock by displacing the oil collected in the lowest positioned cylinder. Right: BH-G in flight.
February 10, 1944, RAF Ingham. The crew of Wellington BH-U (697): F/Sgt B. Uram, pilot (left); Sgt A. Grzeslowski (air bomber);
Sgt W. Krzyszkowski (navigator); F/Sgt M. Kulagin (wireless operator) and Sgt E. Klak (rear gunner).
That day this crew took off for mine laying operations.
Picture courtesy of Mike Carter.
And then the unit converted to Lancasters. Part Two.